This program is designed to provide quick access to a POP Mail server.
I wrote it because I was frustrated by the WebMail access to my ISPs. WebMail access requires a separate page for login, and the timeout of most webmail servers is quite fast, so you have to log back in every 10 minutes or 20 minutes, and I found that aggravating.
This program IS NOT a replacement for such great mail programs as Mozilla Thunderbird or even Outlook or Outlook Express.
These are some of the things it DOES NOT do:
- It does not have mail folders
- It does not have its own spam filter
- It does NOT remove mail from the server, unless you specifically DELETE it (so you can later download and save the mail in your REAL mail program)
- It does not display embedded pictures (but it displays pictures linked in HTML messages)
- It does NOT automatically download messages. The list window lets you see the subject and sender, and you can decide to delete a message there and then before it is downloaded (can't beat that for security).
- It does not support proxies, even though if there was a good reason for, I might work on it.
- It does not save attachments (but lets you know when there are attachments). It may in future revisions.
- Due to the wide variations in how POP servers actually implement the standards (or not), it may or may not work with your particular server. If it does not, send me a message, and I'll see if I can support YOUR server.
However, here are some of the things it DOES:
- You can view message sender, subject and body of message
- You can view all the headers
- You can view all the parts of MIME multipart messages
- You can view Base64 encoded text
- You can delete mail from the server
- You can even view HTML mail (pictures and all) (I am proud of that one)
- But you can also see HTML mail in text form if you choose. It is sometimes interesting, as I have observed that HTML mail may contain a completely different message in text form.
- You can configure the program for as many POP accounts as you want (no practical limit)
- The program can save your password, or not, as you choose
- It will let you print and save mail, in HTML or plain text format.
- It will let you respond to mail or compose new mail, and send attachments
- This program is fairly fast. At least for both my ISPs (Cox and Globat), it is MUCH faster than using the WebMail feature, and less aggravating since I can get the latest messages with a single click. WebMail typically requires you to login again after 10 to 20 minutes of inactivity, and login itself takes a while.
It is free for you to use.
Check the Release Notes page for downloads, installation, usage and the latest information and bug fixes.
Software License available here.